Sunday, February 24, 2008

Vicuna = Crack

I actually got to feel the ultimate luxury fiber the other day at the Smoky Mountain Spinnery in Gatlinburg, TN (she's on the verge of getting a web site and I will post a link ASAP). I had heard tales of a fiber so soft you can hardly feel it, and I scoffed. It started with the gentle fondling of the Guanaco fiber that was on display. It was amazingly soft and something like $45 an ounce. Yeouch. A bit more than my bruised bank account could handle. As I reluctantly put it back on the shelf, the shop proprietress asked me if I wanted to feel something really soft. She retreated into the back room, rummaged around a bit and produced a sandwich-sized ziploc bag of caramel colored fluff. Vicuna. $300 and ounce. And she actually let me put my hand in the bag. I was almost afraid to touch it. The first fondle is free...

I scoff no more.

No comments: