Sunday, August 26, 2007

A New Project

My grandfather served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He was in the Construction Battalion, otherwise known as the SeaBees.

The 26th Battalion arrived on Guadalcanal on December 26, 1942, after the battles. It was their mission to clean up and establish bases on Guadalcanal and the nearby islands. My grandfather took many photographs while on the island, some of which are rather graphic. He found a Japanese photo album that he brought home after the war. He had talked about returning the album but I assume he didn't know how to go about doing so. He gave all his photographs and the album to me before he passed away. I packed the albums in a box, put them on the top shelf of the closet, and forgot about them...until last spring.

I unpacked the album and showed it to my son. He suggested that his friend's parents try to translate it. His friend is Japanese. I copied a few pages and the one name that they were able to translate was Shin-ichi Ichinose. It's a start. I created a blog about the album, so please take a moment to take a look.
This is a beautiful album. It's a treasure and needs to be returned to its family. Please help if you can.

No comments: