Wednesday, May 21, 2008

To Quote Alice Cooper...

"School's out for summer!" Tomorrow is actually the last day, but it's a half-day and doesn't really count. Zack's last final was on Tuesday, and today was field day (i.e. we have nothing more to teach therefore the students shall spend the day outside) so the last day was really yesterday. Tomorrow is just a technicality.

At the moment, I'm feeling contemplative and more than a little thankful.

The school year started out quite badly with some personality conflicts of the middle school variety. There were many tears and no laughter. I was terrified. A guidance counselor came to Zack's rescue, and after a little schedule rearranging, things gradually calmed down. I'm thankful someone listened and helped Zack get on his feet.

Zack developed some good friends this year. One friend invited him to the beach for a week, another friend encouraged him to start attending scouts again. One good friend is the son of Zack's father's best friend from high school. (Small world!) I'm thankful that Zack possesses good character judgement and that his friends are good kids.

Zack's teachers this year have been wonderful and I'm thankful for each one of them. They listened, they were responsive, they helped and guided. Most importantly each one of them provided encouragement and positive reinforcement. I wish Zack could take them with him to high school next year.

Some people might think that we've just been lucky this year because of the way things have worked out. That's one way to look at it. But just when I'm at the end of my rope and I find myself asking, "What am I going to do or how am I going to manage?" a door opens and God shows me His plan. I learned a long time ago that He does answer prayers, it just might not be the answer I thought I wanted. I am so thankful that "Thank you, God" seems so small.

I do have a few high school-related items that I've already started praying about even though we're just beginning summer break. I'm praying for the friends that Zack hasn't met yet, but will meet at the new school next year. I'm praying for his teachers. I'm also praying for myself...I'm the mom of a high school student! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? HOW AM I GOING TO MANAGE? I'm confident He'll show me in His time and in His way.

We are so blessed. How cool is that?

No comments: