Sunday, May 31, 2009

A place for my stash


P1010017
Originally uploaded by KnittyBits

This showed up in my garage the other day (for free!!!). Eventually, it will house my stash (well...a good portion of my stash). It's not a true Hoosier cupboard, and it's not terribly old. I haven't scraped any paint away, but I can tell that the wood is of the plywood variety. If I had to guess, I would say that it's probably from the 60s or so. The green paint and strawberry stickers are probably vintage 80s...as are the hammered copper-like handles. When I'm done with it the stickers will be gone and the color will be more pleasing. The enamel counter is in tremendous condition. The upper left-hand cupboard is the flour bin and tilts out. I may reconfigure that. If it was a true Hoosier, I'd leave it intact, but I really don't think I'm going to devalue this peice by ripping out a flour bin. The only thing that's missing is the right-hand bracket that holds the upper and lower pieces together. The white drawer on the right is an aborted attempt by a previous owner to scrap off the green paint.

I'm not sure if I'll strip the paint entirely. Should I stain it or paint it? The drawer pulls and handles should probably be either glass or enamel, I think. And then, once it's done, where should I put it? Den? Guest room? So many things to consider.

I'll post photos of the progress. Wish me luck!

No comments: