Monday, December 1, 2008

You Have Got to be Kidding!

I should be knitting...or spinning...or felting something. Once again, I've gotten myself into the pre-Christmas panic of knitting more stitches than humanly possible in 3 weeks. Actually, less than three weeks because half of what I'm knitting has to be shipped to Michigan in time for Christmas. The yarn doesn't even exist yet for one of the projects. The count down clock is mocking me.

Quite a bit was accomplished while visiting my parents over Thanksgiving. I brought my spinning wheel and was able to finish up the shetland I bought from Three Creeks Farm. It's gorgeous! Reds and charcoal gray. I got another project to the felting stage and did a bit of swatching on another. I still can't divulge all the Christmas knitting projects because everyone in my family (bless them) knows how to read. In the mean time, I'll have to share my all knitting, spinning and felting projects with the girls I knit with on Wednesdays. They won't tell...

My mom, dad and I braved Black Friday at Walmart. It was actually quite surprising. We got there around 9am...no crowds, no lines. At one point, I was standing near a small group of 20-somethings who were laughing about their morning shopping spree. The girl in the group was concerned about being recognized by security. I couldn't help but pause to listen. Apparently, in her rush to get to a sale item, she knocked a woman to the floor. She was still wearing the same clothes (pajama bottoms and a hoodie) and was worried that the security cameras got her picture. She was going to go home and change so she wouldn't be easily recognized. What?? And they were all laughing about it! When did knocking someone over become acceptable? Then when we got home, we read about the person in New York who was trampled to death earlier that morning. This is not why we celebrate Christmas. It's beyond sad.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I totally agree. When I heard the story about that poor man being trampled and then the story about those 2 who shot each other all during Christmas shopping, it just broke my heart. Have we, as I society, really become that greedy? I think the answer is a resounding "YES". Makes me think how heartbroken Christ is to see how we Christians are celebrating His birth.