Thursday, January 3, 2008

Coolest Gifts Ever!

Drum roll please!

This is the secret project that Zack and my dad worked on over Thanksgiving. The handle is walnut and the arms are cypress. It's really nice and light. Zack sanded it so much that it feels like glass. It makes a 2-foot skein, so it's perfect for my smaller amounts. I've used it a couple times already and it's completely awesome. Signed and everything!This is what Santa brought me....I kid you not!Is this too cool or what?I nearly died!This is the first skein of yarn spun from new wheel.
With all the preparations before Christmas (the wheel arrived on the 21st), I didn't have a chance to try it out until Christmas Eve. However, during all my cleaning, I would walk past the wheel and touch it every now and then just to make sure it was still there.

My first attempt at spinning with a wheel was a huge disaster! I couldn't get the it to work and had a huge roving mess on my hands. I had everything set up how I thought the manual depicted, but the yarn either broke or wouldn't wind on the bobbin. How could something so simple be so dang difficult? Finally, on Wednesday, I swallowed all my pride and called Laurie at YarnAlong, where Santa bought the wheel. (Located in Henderson, KY). She walked me through the tension issues and I was spinning like a spider within the hour.

My guys are so good to me. I'm one lucky fiber junky!

1 comment:

Lori Allen said...

You definitely have some great guys in your life - I say hang onto them ;)

Your spinning looks great! Congrats again!

I look forward to spinning with you.