Sunday, June 24, 2007

Fleas, Rain and a Bit of Knitting

My son, Zack, and I went to the Flea Market today. Dang, it was hot! We mainly lurked in the A/C buildings. The outdoor booths were torturous. I saw a few cool things, but nothing that made me pull out my wallet. Our main objective was to get a silver dollar for Zack. He dabbles with a coin collection and there's a guy named Elvis (I kid you not) at the flea market who has an awesome collection. We found a neat silver dollar from 1892, got a good deal on it (by good deal I mean we paid less for it than the going rate of an ounce of silver), and headed home. When Zack lost his first tooth, years ago, the Tooth Fairy left a silver dollar. Silver was a lot cheaper then, and he has several more teeth to go. Darn, that Tooth Fairy.

Then the rain came! Here in Nashville, we are a good 10" below our normal rainfall amount for the year, and it looks like it. Everything is just crispy dry. (Think Kansas in August. Don't get me wrong, I like Kansas, but Kansas in August is, well, parched.) It could rain for a couple days straight and we'd still not get caught up. It was a good rain that helped settle the dust. Send more, please!

I did a bit of knitting this afternoon. I've got about 4-5 more inches on my silk skinny scarf. I almost dread finishing it because then comes the blocking. Oh joy. I don't know why, but I really hate blocking. I realize that the piece comes out all shapely and nice when it's done, but the process of shaping and pinning makes me cringe. When I'm done with this scarf I'll cast on the BEAUTIFUL ginger colored silk my parents got me for Christmas. My mom was like, why would you want yarn for Christmas? Well, duh! This stuff is (to borrow a phrase from Lime and Violet) lick-worthy. Once I get batteries charged for the camera I'll take some pics.

What I really need to do (and soon!) is come up with a project for our trip to Panama City Beach. All that driving is perfect knitting time. Mind you, I'm not doing the driving. I have several projects in the works, but should I start something new or finish a UFO(s)? Maybe a nice mix. I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

No comments: