Tuesday, April 29, 2008

No Knitting, No Kidding

Forgive me, but I'm going to go a bit off-topic in this post. I have to share some great photos of not knitting and not yarn.

We had a good visit with my parents this weekend. Highlights include finding an estate sale loaded with neat stuff (purchases were made) and hiking in Carter Caves State Park. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet Grace this time around, but we'll be back.

The estate sale...I got an awesome brown ware crock for $15! It's about 8" high and in nearly perfect condition. There's a small chip on the rim, but it's so smooth that I figure it's been there for years. A cool hand loomed rag rug and a box full of vintage maps from the 1900s-30s also came home with me. But the best part of the sale was a poem we found scrawled inside a very old musty, moldy book:
Love is such a simple thing
It will flower like a blossom
If you want your finger bit
Poke it at a possum.
It's not as good as Zack's "Laws of Life", but has a certain quality about it. We laughed like hell!

The Dogwood Arts and Crafts Festival...total bummer. We had to pay to get in. Not much, just $4 each. It took us about 20 minutes to walk through. Quite a few of the booths were empty and many booths had very similar offerings. I don't want to offend anyone, but I was pretty disappointed. I've been to Tamarack, WV and that's what I was kind of expecting, especially since tickets were available through ticketmaster. However, there were some artists that had beautiful things. I especially liked the demo by the glass bead maker. She was very good and fun to watch. She was the only one actually demonstating her art.

Hiking at Carter Caves...awesome! The wild flowers were out in full force. After a while we almost became numb due to flower overload. The trilliums rocked! It's like they were on steriods. There are more photos in my flickr album. We trekked about 3.5 miles or so.

Zack's hand shows how large the leaves are. Don't worry, he's not going to pick it!

I don't know what these are, but they are pretty.

More trilliums...trust me, there were thousands!

One of many caves

A natural bridge...if you look closely you can see Zack climbing up the dirt.

Someone who just had lunch...or breakfast.

I hated taking this photo. The gap was narrow and very deep.

Fiddle head ferns.

It was a good visit, but I wish we had another day or two.

No comments: